[teacherartexchange] New Kid on the Block

---------

From: Stacey Scott (gadfly1958_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 20:57:03 PST

Finding this list has been like receiving the biggest
and best resource
ever! I am learning so much from just reading your
-- I cannot express enough how valuable this is to me!
 Thank you!!!!

  My stat's -- I'm an elementary teacher who just
became an art
teacher. Although I had a liberal arts specialization
in studio arts (and I
had to petition to get them to accept that), I've had
little training
beyond what I know intrinsically and what I've learned
by teaching
several years of an after-school art class to various
grades (on my own
time, not a paid position).

  Although this job is a dream come true, most of the
time I'm
exhausted by my new learning curve. ANY tips would be
helpful -- I teach in a
wheel, so I only have the students an hour every 2
weeks or so, and I
teach grades K-6 (all kindergarten classes one day,
then first and so
on).

  Because I only see them every two weeks (and for,
what to me, seems
like a short amount of time), I struggle with what to
expose them to,
how to have enough time to mix art history with
actually completing a
project, etc.

  I also teach at a low-income, inner city school with
about 99%
bilingual students, primarily hispanic. I have my own
room, although it is
not large.

  So far, my goal for my first year is two fold:

  1) get them up to speed -- most have not mixed
colors, learned about
values or tints, sketched, painted, or used clay. So,
although I
create my lessons around the standards, I also take
into account that my 4-6
graders are missing K-3 essentials, and I'm trying to
fill in gaps that
will prepare them for middle and high school art
classes.

  2) Allow them to experiment in the various mediums
while including
art history and studies of famous artists. This
includes exposing them
to all sorts of art (my biggest challenge -- how? I
have very few
posters/pictures) and having them learn to keep an
open mind regarding art
and experiences new to them. I think the school
expected tons of art
projects, but I don't want to focus on creating only
(as discussed in a
recent thread on this list).

  Any suggestions would be welcome -- !!! I want to
continue to love
my job!

  Gratefully,
  Stacey in San Diego