Re: [teacherartexchange] Kansas Art Conference

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 14:20:54 PST

Michal,
        Thanks for the update on the Kansas Conference. Sorry I missed it,
perhaps I can make
it next year. I hope others send reports on their conferences. I see
Carol Inge has gotten married
and added to her name.
                                        Kansas teachers are the best, Woody

On Oct 30, 2006, at 12:48 PM, M. Austin wrote:

> I would share from the Kansas conference, also held this past
> weekend. It would be great to hear from the rest of you as you all
> attend your own state conferences!
>
> This year's conference was held at Emporia State University with
> the theme "Educating Artistic Vision". We kicked conference off
> Thursday night with a meet and greet with pre-service teachers. In
> keeping with the conference theme we all decorated sunglasses that
> doubled as our name tags. There was glitter, wiggly eyes, pipe
> cleaners, sticky shapes - all those things that we art teachers
> love! While we chatted & decorated we ate pizza & chocolate (I knew
> then it was going to be a great conference! *L*), and then we
> paired up - an experienced teacher with a pre-service one. We
> shared info and got to know each other, and then introduced each
> other to the group (there were only about 40? of us at this time).
> Unfortunately, I had a horrible case of laryingitis so I listened
> more than I shared, which was horrible cause I'm naturally very
> chatty! Then we got to decorate t-shirts that read "ART....the
> first language". There was tye-dye, fabric markers, etc. The KAEA
> board then adjourned for our meeting and left the students to play.
>
> Friday morning began with the usual donuts, vendors, and re-
> aquainting with old friends. I won't go into large detail, but we
> had 3 guest artists who spoke. Elaine O. Henry, a ceramic artist,
> Larry Schwarm, a photographic artist, and Patrick Martin, a glass
> artist all shared their work. The keynote speaker was Carol Inge
> Hockett, who would have probably lured me away from art ed and into
> art history had I had her as a professor. She was fabulous! Her
> talk was "The Leonardo Lessons", and she shared juicy gossip,
> fascinating tidbits, and little known facts about Leonardo daVinci.
>
> The art auction is held each year, with the money raised going to
> student scholarships so that pre-service teachers can attend our
> conference. Art donations come from various sources. I bid on, and
> won, a table cover from the conference that Faith Ringgold spoke at
> a couple years ago. I tried to get a huge glass clothespin, but
> figured my husband would throw a huge hissy fit if I paid over $100
> for a dust catcher! At the suitcase sale I spent a small fortune
> adding to my jewelry collection. The table decorations were huge 3-
> D heads with wire "picture holders" sticking out. I got one and
> plan to put art quotes and photos in it for my students to enjoy.
>
> Workshops were amazing. I got so many great ideas! I am going to be
> making marionettes with my high school classes next week, so I'll
> put all the info on my site once we get them completed. Now that I
> know how to make them with limited supplies I am SO excited! I
> learned several new bookmaking techniques, attended a workshop on
> memory boxes, a quilting session that combines paper, traditional
> quilting, and found objects, and pastel landscapes. This is the
> [...]

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703