Re:[teacherartexchange] Mistakes in Art

---------

From: Rene Jones (renatej3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 11:54:06 PST

I usually just read the posts ( kind of voyerish) but
felt I could make a contribution to the discussion
about making mistakes. Teaching young 5's through 5th
grade, I often hear my students say "I messed up" and
then expect me to give them a new paper. I don't
believe in letting them start over instead I put up a
note in each of my art rooms that says..."Artists
don't mess up or make mistakes....they just make
changes" Now when one of them says "I messed up" I
hear other kids tell them..."just change it". They're
starting to understand that it's OK for art to
constantly evolve as it's being created. It then makes
them think critically....which is a good thing.

Rene Jones
Michigan