[teacherartexchange] Kansas Art Conference

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 11:48:57 PST

share from the Kansas conference, also held this past weekend. It would be
great to hear from the rest of you as you all attend your own state
conferences!

This year's conference was held at Emporia State University with the theme
"Educating Artistic Vision". We kicked conference off Thursday night with a
meet and greet with pre-service teachers. In keeping with the conference
theme we all decorated sunglasses that doubled as our name tags. There was
glitter, wiggly eyes, pipe cleaners, sticky shapes - all those things that
we art teachers love! While we chatted & decorated we ate pizza & chocolate
(I knew then it was going to be a great conference! *L*), and then we paired
up - an experienced teacher with a pre-service one. We shared info and got
to know each other, and then introduced each other to the group (there were
only about 40? of us at this time). Unfortunately, I had a horrible case of
laryingitis so I listened more than I shared, which was horrible cause I'm
naturally very chatty! Then we got to decorate t-shirts that read
"ART....the first language". There was tye-dye, fabric markers, etc. The
KAEA board then adjourned for our meeting and left the students to play.

Friday morning began with the usual donuts, vendors, and re-aquainting with
old friends. I won't go into large detail, but we had 3 guest artists who
spoke. Elaine O. Henry, a ceramic artist, Larry Schwarm, a photographic
artist, and Patrick Martin, a glass artist all shared their work. The
keynote speaker was Carol Inge Hockett, who would have probably lured me
away from art ed and into art history had I had her as a professor. She was
fabulous! Her talk was "The Leonardo Lessons", and she shared juicy gossip,
fascinating tidbits, and little known facts about Leonardo daVinci.

The art auction is held each year, with the money raised going to student
scholarships so that pre-service teachers can attend our conference. Art
donations come from various sources. I bid on, and won, a table cover from
the conference that Faith Ringgold spoke at a couple years ago. I tried to
get a huge glass clothespin, but figured my husband would throw a huge hissy
fit if I paid over $100 for a dust catcher! At the suitcase sale I spent a
small fortune adding to my jewelry collection. The table decorations were
huge 3-D heads with wire "picture holders" sticking out. I got one and plan
to put art quotes and photos in it for my students to enjoy.

Workshops were amazing. I got so many great ideas! I am going to be making
marionettes with my high school classes next week, so I'll put all the info
on my site once we get them completed. Now that I know how to make them with
limited supplies I am SO excited! I learned several new bookmaking
techniques, attended a workshop on memory boxes, a quilting session that
combines paper, traditional quilting, and found objects, and pastel
landscapes. This is the first year in many that I forgot to send in the form
on presenting, so I was able to attend and enjoy (which was a good thing
with me having no voice!).

~Michal
Kansas K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids