RE: [teacherartexchange] student project touch ups

---------

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 06:29:33 PST

As far as educating grown ups as well....(and remember, I'm the one the
ADMITS that once in a great while I WILL correct a kid that's frustrated
with trying to 'see' what's the real line...and I still don't see
anything wrong with it on a very small scale, when requested
(breathe!)...I was married to an artist for many years whose work is
childlike and is my favorite type of art. The Museum of Modern Art in
NYC has purchased two of his pieces, he's had world wide retrospects,
been sold at Christies and Sotheby's (just so you understand his
success) we'd get comments from neighbors and uneducated people quite
frequently...'it looks like a kid did it.' His response was that in
order to appreciate the vision of an artist, you have to see the body of
work, not just one piece. And kids do their art, naturally, from their
wonderful childlike perspective...adults do it 'on purpose.' Also,
Dubuffet, Klee and others, along with my ex-husband, are usually saying
something 'very grown up' as well. Personally, my focus is to get
students to appreciate modern art, because it does look 'easy,' without
understanding how very difficult it really is abstractly...it's the same
idea that was expressed that you have to know the rules in order to
break them.

If interested, google 'DeLoss McGraw'...you'll see what I mean.
Love the discussions!