Re: [teacherartexchange] Who invented Art?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 11:22:02 PST

On Oct 29, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Patricia Knott wrote:

> Maybe ask
> Was "art' invented? or was naming it "art" invented?
> When did "art" begin?
> We call cave paintings art, but did the creators?
> Much of what we regard and revere was not intended as art ---
> someone decided to call it art. When did that happen? Why?
> If the creator didn't intend for the work to be art, is it art?

In Native American cultures it is often stated that "they have no
name for art". That is true in many
cultures where the decoration and crafting of items is just taken as
the way things are done.
http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=2966
Abstract from the book:
Where There Is No Name for Art: The Art of Tewa Pueblo Children

In their own language, Tewa Pueblo people have no word for art.
Pottery, painting, embroidery, dancing, and other "art" forms are not
considered separate from life; they are synonymous with work,
thoughts, and expressions. In this collection, artwork by the
children of Santa Clara, San Ildefonso, San Juan, Pojoaque, and Nambe
Pueblos accompanies interviews with the children by an art educator.
Interviews emphasize creativity, continuity, community, identity, and
relationships within the Pueblo culture. The introduction, "Don't
Talk Too Much, Just Do Your Show," describes the physical landscape
of the Pueblo children; the interview process; gathering the artwork;
and aspects of teaching art to children related to attitudes, skills,
concepts, and applications. "They Set the Pace for Us" explores
ancestral history and intergenerational ties. "My Name Is Secret"
describes the children's Tewa names as links to their past and
identity. "A Pueblo Is Where Your Family Is" illustrates the concepts
of Pueblo place, activities, family, and identity. "Put a Little
Color in Your Mind" describes the place of the kiva (sacred place) in
Pueblo life, the symbolism and traditions of working with clay in
pottery making, and the sources of designs and ideas. Each of the
first four chapters is followed by a related art lesson. "Dancing To
Get a Good Heart" documents preparations for ritualistic dances on
feast days. "No Matter Who You Are, You Belong to the Earth" tells of
the children's home life and connection to nature as a source of
inspiration and their perceptions of reality. (Contains photographs
of the children and their artwork and an index to the photographs.)
(SAS)

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons