[teacherartexchange] Photo teachers ? wearing goggles

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 15:42:48 PDT

hello fellow photo teachers

In all my years of teaching photo I have made protective eye wear
available but not required.
An incident in another photo teacher's classroom this week has an
angry mother demanding the students wear googles.

My take on the problem is that the kids were fooling around and a
student got a chemical in her eyes. In my darkroom this could only
happen IF the kids are fooling around. It's my experience that
goggles are an unnecessary and cumbersome burden. I am the the only
one that mixes chemicals where protection should probably be used.
Anyhow
I'm concerned that this over anxious mom may make a stink and I will
be required to use the protective eye wear. I can only think that
this would make the darkroom experience less than the delight it is now.

Any advice or experience?
I've been in the darkroom for too many years than I can remember. I
am very careful that kids don't abuse the privilege and set very firm
safety rules. I'm also convinced that even if some chemical got
into the eye a quick wash would avoid any problems.

Any advice?

thanks
Patty