[teacherartexchange] Pen and Ink Camouflage Lesson from Randy Menninghaus

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 09:23:15 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Randy Menninghaus shared a lesson idea with ArtsEducators and Getty
list the other day....

Here is the lesson - Pen and Ink Hidden Images:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Randy-ink.htm

From Randy:
I do a lovely ink art work. I have collected (over the years) really nice
pen and ink illustrations. Think Arther Rackham type illustrations or
early Alice in Wonderland. (Originally I started with old children's book
illustrations.) I cut odd shape pieces out of parts of the illustration,
half a face, arms, bits of background. As I cut I put parts of the original
in different boxes so they are separated (to prevent the jigsaw puzzle type
kids from trying to re-assemble the image). The assignment is:

Fish out two or three bits that will become like sour dough starter for their
imagination. Glue stick them down with in a 5 x5 inch square , and develop
your own drawing hiding the bits inside your drawing. Then use ink to
complete.

I use it to develop rich texture and mark making with ink pens.
The students seem to enjoy it's randomness.

This lesson is for a beginning high school level and can be sued for
middle school.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/