Re: [teacherartexchange] professional development

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 06:13:56 PDT

My last three years of teaching, I was the lead art teacher in our
district. Part of my
job was to develop the in-service programs for the middle and high
school art staff.
We had K-12 art teachers, but another teacher organized the K-5 art
teachers. In our
district all schools dismissed students early on Wednesday for
building inservice activities.
Once a month the art teachers were excused to work on our own
inservice. We also
had a full day at the start of each year and 1/2 days at each quarter
break.
This schedule allowed for at least nine times per year the art staff
was able to get together
to work on curriculum, exchange lesson ideas, learn new media or
techniques, etc.
I know this is not the cross curricular professional exchange you are
looking for,
but it illustrates how one district used it's inservice time. The
first component of
any inservice program is making time available, then developing an
effective
use of that time.
                                                        Woody

On Oct 28, 2006, at 6:35 AM, <rpopek@verizon.net>
<rpopek@verizon.net> wrote:

> In the schools I've taught in, professional development for arts
> teachers has been rather lacking. Now at a new job I joined a newly
> formed committee that is seeking to provide professional
> development programs for our school system. Interestingly we have
> several of the arts people who signed on to serve on this committee
> hoping that we could provide some quality enrichment for ourselves.
> In our system we have a "unified arts group" which essentially
> means all those people who have the same schedule or all those
> people who see students once a week for a 50 minute period. This
> includes library, music, gym, art, technology, spanish, and
> science. So we all meet together as a group when the academic
> teachers meet. We also as a group have been toying with the idea
> that we could do something for our group even though we are rather
> diverse. So I guess my question is, what do some of you do in your
> school systems to provide quality professional development if at all?

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703