[teacherartexchange] Heather Hayes' Art History Warm-up "The Scream"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 14:20:42 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Heather sent me her file for the warm-up. This will be on line for a short time.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/DailyWarm.doc

She posted that she used The Scream....
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/scream.jpg
The last column doesn't show up - you can get the idea.

This is what Heather sent to me:

For some reason, my scanner wouldn't pick up the
last column on "The Scream."

Prior to this, I'd been drawing either drawing 4 small pictures/patterns on
the board and having them recreate them on their worksheets, or letting them
come up w/ original pictures based on whatever we'd been studying (contour
drawings, patterns w/ geometric shapes, etc).

All I did was print out the coloring page from edupics.com and grid it with
the same # of squares as the worksheets. Monday, I drew the 1st row of "The
Scream" on the board, and they drew it on corresponding row on the
worksheet. Tuesday was the second row, etc. An easier method would be to
copy the gridded picture onto a transparency, and then use the overhead -
but I don't have one.

I offered extra credit to those who could ID the artist and title of the
picture by Friday. After they drew the final row, I had a mini presentation
and PowerPoint on Munch.

I think that this project would be suitable to younger grades if the line
drawings were simplified a bit. This one had LOTS of lines for sky and
background - if I were to do it for anyone younger than 6th grade, I would
have left out some of the background lines.

Anyway, it went over well. I had kids asking all sorts of questions, and a
few wanted to do more research on Munch. I was able to relate it to a few
different areas - current events (the recent recovery), science - the
tuberculosis that plagued his family and the volcano eruption that caused
the red skies...overall, it was a great success.

Heather Hayes

This is link to Heather's original post.
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/archive/Oct06/0283.html

If anyone has files they would like to share with the group, I can put
them on Incredible Art Department for a short time.

Judy Decker