Re: [teacherartexchange] Shaded Still-lifes

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 06:51:46 PDT

I use the idea of the five principles of proper shading to explain how form differs from shape.

highlight
shade
shadow
reflected light
back shading

Whether you are using pencil, pastel, charcoal etc. the idea is the same. As for hatching and smudging or pressure sensitivity, these are tools for making a gradation of values and should be experimented with in order to promote the best procedure for all students.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA