[teacherartexchange] touching up

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 14:03:42 PDT

What a lovely digest it was today. Vibrant discussion back and forth with
graffiti posts woven in between "touching up". I agreed with many point on
both sides, and wanted to point out that touching up and teaching up may be
two different things. Well at least in my head.
Once upon a time we had a neighboring elementary teacher in our area, who
would finish the unfinished art works, filling in and adding or doing what
I call touching "up". The kid was not in the room. I was in the room ( we
were mass matting for a show.) I was surprised and tried to feel the person
out about it. She said "It's better for the students self esteem that it
is done and upon the wall". She truly believed this. I left the
conversation...and worried, wondering why the kid would ever finish
something if another person was going to do it for them?
As a teenager ( back in the dark ages) I had that kind of art teacher: who
painted right on my art with out asking. I really learned from that.Today I
have a small pile of bits of tracing paper, always nearby. I will talk
with students about possibilities, lay the trace on the area that the
student is unhappy with ..and work on the trace. We always talk
possibilities. Than I take the trace with me. I guess I might call that
"teaching up."
Randy