Re: [teacherartexchange] Touching up Elementary Projects??

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 10:04:41 PDT

On Oct 26, 2006, at 10:55 AM, David Lang wrote:

> As to the analogy between teaching Art and teaching grammar, I
> think it is a
> fair one. English is a language and so is Art. They both have
> rules that you
> can't break with any effect unless you know them. I teach the
> grammar of Art,
> but in a way that is designed to promote creativity (I won't claim
> to actually
> teach creativity), just as I expect a teacher of English would.
>
> File under: For What It's Worth
> Dave

Dave,
        I had a wonderful High School art teacher (1960) who told me: "Rules
are made
to be broken, but first you must understand why the rules are there."
        Years later, when I started teaching, she was my Supervisor. She
confronted
me about not following the district guidelines. Of course I reminded
her of what a
wise teacher once told me about "breaking rules."
        I always told my students that "in art" rules were suppose to be
broken. If you
have a "better idea", go for it but be sure it's better and can you
explain why ?
                                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net