Re:[teacherartexchange] Touching up Elementary Projects??

---------

From: leah on desktop (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 07:44:17 PDT

I recently sat thought a district art meeting and there was an in-depth
discussion about what would and would not be accepted the district art show
(all levels). Part of the discussion was about not using other peoples art
and calling it your own (i.e. copywritten material) that was integrated into
multi-media work or work used as reference that was copywritten.

The other part of the discussion had to do with this exactly - how much
"influence" had the teacher had on the students work... I was a bit
mortified to realize that there had possibly been work submitted to the show
that was not entirely done by students. This is why it was necessary to
clarify the criteria for what would be submitted.

In my classroom we do a lot of rough sketches before finalizing work - I
have demonstrated how I would draw something during this stage but not on a
students work - but I never go for the "how do you draw a bunny" routine...

One thing I have done - with upper elementary in the practice stage, is to
correct perspective drawing. We do a whole unit with 3-D block letters to
practice 1 and 2 point perspective and I end up demonstrating it over and
over again - I will do this right on a students worksheet - and then they do
it again, and again... Its a great project and the kids love it -