[teacherartexchange] Mistakes in Art

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 07:32:56 PDT

As a followup to our discussion about "correcting" student art,
Let me add that I often told my students that "there are no
mistakes in art - just happy accidents." I said it so often that
when I'd start the statement I would get a loud choruses from
my classes. "We know there are no mistakes in art, just ...."
Aren't kids wonderful. I urged them to find ways to utilize
these "happy accidents" into their work. As a watercolor
artist, I know too well how many things happen that must
be incorporated into the final work. Accidents are a big
part of learning in art. We not only live with them we learn
to expect them and hope for them.
                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net