Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Mistakes in Art

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 07:32:56 PDT

As a followup to our discussion about "correcting" student art,
Let me add that I often told my students that "there are no
mistakes in art - just happy accidents." I said it so often that
when I'd start the statement I would get a loud choruses from
my classes. "We know there are no mistakes in art, just ...."
Aren't kids wonderful. I urged them to find ways to utilize
these "happy accidents" into their work. As a watercolor
artist, I know too well how many things happen that must
be incorporated into the final work. Accidents are a big
part of learning in art. We not only live with them we learn
to expect them and hope for them.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703