Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 25, 2006

---------

From: Michelle Best (michellebest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 05:37:53 PDT

RIGHT ON Jen! This is exactly what I'm talking about. You said it SO WELL! Thanks for explaining it better than I!! My elementary students already have complexes galore. Making them feel that they have to have "correct art" will only add to the problem. My first year teaching I was amazed at how upset my students would get when they made the smallest mistake. I even started doing a lesson with a book called "The Big Mistake" to explain to them how we can use our mistakes to make our artwork even more interesting. I feel it is soooooo important to encourage them to feel FREEDOM FROM PERFECTION!! I love your statement "Art isn't about making pretty pictures. It's about freedom of expression. Uniqueness. Ownership." I may even put that up in my classroom.....if you don't mind....LOL!

Michelle