Re: RE: [teacherartexchange] Touching up Elementary Projects??

---------

From: Jackie Brewer (jacjac2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 03:40:05 PDT

LInda,
I have found that nurturing your own work is the best all the way
around for all. I also feel students can come to rely on teachers
touching their work. I am currently in the middle of modeling for
students on a still like we are all working on. Each day I move
around the room and sit among students, working while they are
working. It inspires the students and I have a great example of
drawing skill, such as light and dark contrast.

I do disagree in one area. I do strive to have completed pieces of
work after the first two six weeks. I feel we are a visual
performance class. I want the students to also learn that a job must
be followed through. What if the band marched only 20 yards even
though they did know the music and the routine, What if the football
player only ran 20 yards, even though he had a full open field to make
it all the way and was capable of running. I could go on. I always
have the high expectations and never lead the student to believe I
dont want that finished piece. If 3/4 is finished, then that is where
cropping is done and I have a good quality piece to showcase. For
some this sounds harsh, for myself and the looks I see on my students
faces in the end, I find it necessary to show students they can. I
give several grades, planning, basic drawing, value, and then
presentation.

--
Jackie Aust Brewer
Bryan, Texas 77802