Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: [teacherartexchange] Grafitti-Total Freedom?

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 11:51:25 PDT

I think with everything, it is all about motive..authentic motives. I
doubt the artists of the petroglyphs were 'tagging' someone else's
property. Authentic aethestic ideas are large questions to be asked
with modern art as well, I believe. Crumpling up paper and throwing it
on the ground....what's the idea or motive behind it? Is it 'modern'
I would imagine the creators of the petroglyphs were endeavoring to
express honor and respect...I doubt much of that went on behind your