Re: [teacherartexchange] Grafitti-Total Freedom?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 11:34:38 PDT

There is a large area west of Albuquerque full of petroglyphs. It is
considered
sacred art now. At one time was it just grafitti ?
http://www.nps.gov/petr/
http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/petroglyph.html
It is now a 17 mile long national monument. It is protected by law.
We had
long political struggle to put a road through a small portion of it.
This is
one way to begin a discussion with your students. If Aesthetics is
part of
your curriculum, this is a question to begin with. How is this
different from
the back wall of a 711 in your neighborhood ?
                                                Woody

On Oct 25, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Jen Ellis wrote:

> Um...I do have grafitti on my garage...in fact the whole back of my
> building......??
>
> Again, I think we are in agreement on the markings made by gang
> members, which was what I meant by names scrawled quickly.
>
> So to get back on topic here, since we know grafitti as being illegal,
> how does one feel about Keith Haring? We all know he started as a
> grafitti artist in subways....it is Ok because it is mostly chalk? Is
> it not OK? In art history how is this discussed to students?
>
> I guess this artist illustrates my point earlier on how it address
> problems and concerns of the city. (and why I see it as part of the
> city speaking in a way)
>
> Comments? I would love to hear some feedback on this.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen-Cleveland, OH

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net