RE: [teacherartexchange] Grafitti-Total Freedom?

---------

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 11:35:14 PDT

Well, perhaps you're living in a urban setting (which there's some
wonderful ones) where graffiti is 'expected' or you don't care or don't
own it. But when I bought my house in my little residential
neighborhood, and when over half of my income is spent on
mortgage/taxes/insurance..and it's my only real asset, having someone
'tag' my garage is truly disheartening. I feel like I'm one step into a
blight situation that will destroy the value of my property. I suppose
doing interesting work in more public places like a subway or commercial
building with chalk that can be more easily removed is a wee bit
different,(anyone got any ideas on how to remove purple spray paint off
white vinyl? I don't either) but I still think this country has gone
way overboard on protecting individuals 'rights'...especially if they
are poor/downcast/non white....then standing up for the rule of law. I
wouldn't teach graffiti art in my classroom...I think it legitmizes what
ought not be. There's enough art/styles to honor and expose kids to. No
one has the right to deface property, no matter how 'pretty' it is any
more than one has a right to steal someone's social security number no
matter how 'hard' they just want to work. The end does not justify the
means no matter how many people say, 'ah come on...where's you
compassion!'