Re: [teacherartexchange] Grafitti-Total Freedom?

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 11:13:18 PDT

Um...I do have grafitti on my garage...in fact the whole back of my
building......??

Again, I think we are in agreement on the markings made by gang
members, which was what I meant by names scrawled quickly.

So to get back on topic here, since we know grafitti as being illegal,
how does one feel about Keith Haring? We all know he started as a
grafitti artist in subways....it is Ok because it is mostly chalk? Is
it not OK? In art history how is this discussed to students?

I guess this artist illustrates my point earlier on how it address
problems and concerns of the city. (and why I see it as part of the
city speaking in a way)

Comments? I would love to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks!

Jen-Cleveland, OH