Re: [teacherartexchange] Grafitti-Total Freedom?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 09:22:08 PDT

Most of the grafitti I object to are the gang markings to claim their
neighbors. As if the area belongs to them and not the poor working
folk who live there because it's the best they can do. I always
told my students that it was not much different than dogs lifting
their legs to mark territory.
                                        Woody

On Oct 25, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Jen Ellis wrote:

> For me, I live in area that is covered in grafitti. It's an old
> industrial area, that is very rundown. I think it is an important
> story telling device for the area. The problems and concerns of the
> city. A piece of history. Places change, it gets covered up and
> grafitti springs up elsewhere. I do, however, get upset when people
> just scrawl their name on something real quick as part of a dare. And
> I don't think it should be a free for all like Banksy suggested, I
> think it would defeat the purpose and not allow certain works to stand
> out. But I wouldn't call them terrorists. Yeesh.
>
> We also have a grafitti festival every year where different artists
> compete and they also put up about 10-15 blank walls for the public to
> paint. very controversial of course :)
>
> Sofia, I enjoyed your comments on how the particular style has
> influenced other areas of culture. Got me thinking. Thanks much.
>
> Jen-Cleveland, OH

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons