RE: [teacherartexchange] Touching up Elementary Projects??

---------

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 08:35:20 PDT

Geez...........all I'm talking about is if a kid says, 'what's wrong
with this hand?" and I show him 'this' line should be here instead of
here...a 2" line!!??? Given your philosphy, we shouldn't correct
grammar or suggest a better adjective because it's not giving them
'ownership' or 'uniqueness.'
And given 45 minutes and 30 kids, a big, long 'discussion' on 'working'
with the student isn't practical. In fact..I just asked my 8th graders
what they thought of all this...they're a fantastically bright,
industrious group...and they said, "I wouldn't want you to come over and
change some idea I liked, but helping me with some area is no big deal."
I've been taking lessons from a very renown teacher of figure drawing
and she will once in a while come over a help me 'fix' something. By no
means do I create something for them, or totally 'do' something, but the
idea that if you put your own little mark on a kid's paper, it'll
destroy their self-esteem, is in my humble estimation, silly!