[teacherartexchange] touch ups

---------

From: L Mitchell (lismatisse_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 08:29:03 PDT

I had a similar experience as an undergraduate that
Woody discussed at this workshop - I was taking a
painting course during the summer from a well known SC
artist. He did come around and paint on our work. My
critique must have been at the end of classs - I took
the painting home and told my family about it. My mom
(also an artist) suggested I start again. Save the
painting and write on the back his critique.
I too wouldn't draw/paint on others' work and as a
young teacher watched a colleague work into his middle
schooler's colored pencil drawings during lunch! I had
respected him, his students' work was always very
recognizable - and honored. It really changed my
perspective - I don't think his students knew he was
doing it.
As far as elementary students, whenever I give them
work back that is unfinished it really depends on the
student. I certainly talk with them as they work and
offer suggestions - such as asking questions about
their decisions so they can talk about it...sometimes
they choose to go fill in more, other times they'll
say I'm done! I think you have to recognize the
student's choices.
Lisa M.