Re: [teacherartexchange] Grafitti-Total Freedom?

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 07:50:33 PDT

For me, I live in area that is covered in grafitti. It's an old
industrial area, that is very rundown. I think it is an important
story telling device for the area. The problems and concerns of the
city. A piece of history. Places change, it gets covered up and
grafitti springs up elsewhere. I do, however, get upset when people
just scrawl their name on something real quick as part of a dare. And
I don't think it should be a free for all like Banksy suggested, I
think it would defeat the purpose and not allow certain works to stand
out. But I wouldn't call them terrorists. Yeesh.

We also have a grafitti festival every year where different artists
compete and they also put up about 10-15 blank walls for the public to
paint. very controversial of course :)

Sofia, I enjoyed your comments on how the particular style has
influenced other areas of culture. Got me thinking. Thanks much.

Jen-Cleveland, OH