Re: [teacherartexchange] Touching up Elementary Projects??

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 07:09:24 PDT

What is correct and incorrect in art? What "mistakes" are these? Are
we trying to mimic a style of another artist and this wasn't done
correctly? Are we trying to draw in perfect proportion? Make the
perfect circle?

Is art just about perfection?

Why are we "fixing" things….if they don't want to be fixed or need to
be in the first place?

Are we trying to prove something to others? We want "correct" art on the walls?

I think if help is asked for by the student or frustration is
apparent, you can work with the student to find the best method of
improvement. Whether it be by drawing an example, showing pictures,
talking, doing exercises, different techniques.

Art isn't about making pretty pictures. It's about freedom of
expression. Uniqueness. Ownership.

Art students are not trying to all reach the same place. The highest
score, the cleanest proof, the best research paper.

I don't think we should take that away from the individual. Find out
what they want first, then help.

Jen-Cleveland, OH