Re: [teacherartexchange] Touching up Elementary Projects??

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 17:15:42 PDT

On Oct 24, 2006, at 6:00 PM, Julie Jacobusse wrote:

> I have heard about elementary art teachers that fix/touch up
> student projects by having students complete in B&W and use the
> copier to enhance/fix projects. Then give back to students to
> color/paint them later. This was for an art show project-but I am
> not sure how I feel about this...what do all of you think? I think
> the students should learn how to draw/do things and that not every
> projects that students do will be awesome-there are special ed
> students More recently I painted over projects that had major
> mess-ups and the next time they came in asked them to fix/touch it
> up just for the sake of time element-its hard to talk them through
> fix-ups when you have a whole group to keep an eye on. Maybe I
> should have not done that either-but since it is elementary-felt it
> was ok-but middle and high schoolers would get upset I am sure.
> Thanks-Julie Jacobusse from Michigan now in georgia :)

I would "never" mark on a students work period, let alone fix/touch
up a students art.
I have taken students drawings and copied them onto various types of
paper
(using a copy machine) so they could have multiple drawings to paint
on. But,
it was completely their work. When I have suggestions to make or want to
demonstrate a technique I use a separate sheet of paper.

We had a professional artist do a watercolor workshop here in
Albuquerque.
His critique method was to paint on students work to show how to improve
the work. I spoke up and said, being an old art teacher I personally
had a
problem with that. So he only talked about suggested changes on mine.
No one else
in the workshop seemed to mind his methods. Maybe it's just me or my
background ?
                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net