Re:[teacherartexchange] Digital replacing Wet Photography in High School

---------

From: Mark Anderson (azorch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 16:42:12 PDT

>Is there any high school faculty out there that had
to change their wet
>photography UC approved curriculum to digital? I
have had to do this
>in the middle of my first quarter and need some
advice to make this a
>smooth transition. Any info would be much
appreciated!

Yes, I have completed that process this year. I spent
the summer
drafting project ideas and curriculum (which was only
finalized just
last week actually), but began the year with the rough
curriculum in
place. Frankly, this has been especially exciting: my
students get
immediate feedback because digital is so immediate;
enrollment in
Photography is way up; learners are "getting it"
faster and
synthesizing ideas more deeply. We've had to "rethink"
many of our old
ideas...instead of it being a lab-based course, it has
become a
concept-driven course in which the most important
thing is artmaking
rather than technology. Technology is very important,
of course, but
instead of spending the bulk of the semester nailing
down chemical
reactions, we are getting more immediate learning
outcomes through
digital means...and this allows me to spend more time
focussing on the
art media. To my way of thinking, this is nothing but
positive. You can
respond to me offline if you'd like more details.

Mark

Mark Alan Anderson
Visual Art Educator
AP Studio Art + Visual ArtPhotography + Design + Art Foundations

Website: www.ideacreative.com
Cell: (816) 529-6675
Home: (816) 792-1792

School: manderso@nkcsd.k12.mo.us