[teacherartexchange] sharing an ink assignment

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 04:09:49 PDT

some one on the art yahoo list asked for ideas so I posted this. I have
details and may get some good jpegs of examples later today...

I do a lovely ink art work. I have collected (over the years) really nice
pen and ink illustrations. think auther rackham type illustrastions or
early Alice in Wonderland. (Originally I started with old children book
illustrations.) I cut odd shape pieces out of parts of the illustration,
half a face, arms, bits of background. As I cut I put parts of the original
in different boxes so they are separated( to prevent the jigsaw puzzle type
kids form trying to re assemble the image). The assignment is :fish out two
or three bits that will become like sour dough starter for their
imagination. Glue stick them down with in a 5 x5 inch square , and develop
your own drawing hiding the bits inside your drawing. Than use ink to
complete. I use it to develop rich texture and mark making with ink pens.
The students seem to enjoy it's randomness.