Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] Elementary Sketchbooks

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 17:51:33 PDT

Marybeth, what a wonderful post--informative and inspiring.

I was recently contemplating writing a grant proposal to buy sketchbooks
and a drawing pencil set for each of my fifth graders so that I could send
them weekly drawing challenges. Homework, if you will, but I think they'd
enjoy it very much. They could actually bring in sketches for use in their
projects...and also use them for preliminary sketches in class, and for
drawing in when they have finished their work early, just like you have
described.

I have 200 students at this grade level, and finally decided it'd cost too,
too much to get each one of them a spiral-bound sketchbook (I wasn't wanting
huge, but maybe 8x10 or so). And even if I got the books, a range of drawing
pencils would be even more $$.

I had always negated the idea of making sketchbooks in class due the the
huge volume of paper I'd need...but your manila paper simple sketchbook
sounds do-able!

I like your storage idea, too, and I had a thought...

I have the students in assigned seats so I can keep better track of who is
who and also who is absent. BUT--If I were to place the sketchbooks out on
the tables at random before class, the kids could each go to the seat where
their sketchbook is, and I'd know who is absent by which sketchbook doesn't
have a kid sitting at it. (Of course, this idea wouldn't work out if the
kids bring them home with them for weekly drawing challenges, because I
wouldn't have the books in the room with me. I have concerns that the kids
would misplace or ruin or forget their sketchbooks, too, if they brought
them home.)

I love your "fortune cookie strip" idea starters, as well.

Don't know if I will do this THIS year...but maybe! And if not this, then
next.

THANK YOU for sharing!
Amy in TN