[teacherartexchange] Sketchbooks in Elementary school

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 08:02:17 PDT

Sketchbooks are more than just a place to do warm-up sketches. I work for a
center, in its design phase and renovation stage, that is inspired by
Leonardo da Vinci's ability to think across the continuum. Most of us know
that Leonardo advanced art and science by drawing what he saw, his
observations led him to developed understand of reality, physics, mechanics,
and anatomy. He took notes connecting previous knowledge with new. Encourage
your students to write about their observations in art. Ask them questions
about what they are drawing. Sketchbooks can be used in art, science, math
and other classes. Most of the work I do here right now is based on the
sketchbook as a tool for observational learning, associative thinking and
creative expression through image and text. Is there any way to gather the
books after the sketch? Can they put them in their desks? The fact that they
are drawing in them during class is a testament to their interest in drawing
and art. Can you integrate the sketchbook in other ways, for assessment
pershaps? Good luck, It seems like a simple problem to solve. I am impressed
that sketchbooks are being used at that level.