Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] need advice on Elementary watercolor brushes perhaps class packs

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 16:41:47 PDT

> I have found a brush that works great for watercolor, tempera block
> and tempera. The brand is Triarco Artiselect white taklon
> watercolor. It is a white synthetic hair--I have bought, I think
> size 12 (or else size 10, I forget, not being at school right
> now). It is a fabulous brush--has lots of bounce, goes right back
> to a point. Kids can do an entire painting with just the one
> brush, even really thin lines. They love it--it is so different
> from the crummy camel hair brushes that come in paint kits, etc. I
> do teach them brush care--I am very anal about it, especially with
> these, as they are expensive--range from $3.50 to 5.50 depending on
> the number you purchase. I bought a set last year, and have used
> them with all my students, grades Kdgn- to 3rd grade--and they are
> still all in great shape. I bought a smaller size as well--I think
> size 6--they are good also, but not as good as the larger size, for
> some reason. I have felt it was worth the price. I ordered them
> from the Triarco catalog. (
> Mary H.

Thanks Mary,
        I'll investigate the brush. If I do some workshops on watercolor for
art teachers or even students, a class set of those might be very handy.
I didn't see a flat brush listed for watercolor, perhaps I missed it.
It's really hard to teach decent watercolor with cheap supplies. It's
a medium
where quality (pigments, paper and brushes) are so important to
achieve results. Any other suggestions along these lines would be

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703