Re: [teacherartexchange] need advice on Elementary watercolor brushes perhaps class packs

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 16:41:47 PDT

> I have found a brush that works great for watercolor, tempera block
> and tempera. The brand is Triarco Artiselect white taklon
> watercolor. It is a white synthetic hair--I have bought, I think
> size 12 (or else size 10, I forget, not being at school right
> now). It is a fabulous brush--has lots of bounce, goes right back
> to a point. Kids can do an entire painting with just the one
> brush, even really thin lines. They love it--it is so different
> from the crummy camel hair brushes that come in paint kits, etc. I
> do teach them brush care--I am very anal about it, especially with
> these, as they are expensive--range from $3.50 to 5.50 depending on
> the number you purchase. I bought a set last year, and have used
> them with all my students, grades Kdgn- to 3rd grade--and they are
> still all in great shape. I bought a smaller size as well--I think
> size 6--they are good also, but not as good as the larger size, for
> some reason. I have felt it was worth the price. I ordered them
> from the Triarco catalog. (www.triarcoarts.com)
>
> Mary H.

Thanks Mary,
        I'll investigate the brush. If I do some workshops on watercolor for
art teachers or even students, a class set of those might be very handy.
I didn't see a flat brush listed for watercolor, perhaps I missed it.
It's really hard to teach decent watercolor with cheap supplies. It's
a medium
where quality (pigments, paper and brushes) are so important to
achieve results. Any other suggestions along these lines would be
appreciated.
                                                                                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net