Re: [teacherartexchange] need advice on Elementary watercolor brushes perhaps class packs

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 16:16:45 PDT

Greetings,

I have found a brush that works great for watercolor, tempera block and
tempera. The brand is Triarco Artiselect white taklon watercolor. It is a
white synthetic hair--I have bought, I think size 12 (or else size 10, I
forget, not being at school right now). It is a fabulous brush--has lots of
bounce, goes right back to a point. Kids can do an entire painting with
just the one brush, even really thin lines. They love it--it is so
different from the crummy camel hair brushes that come in paint kits, etc.
I do teach them brush care--I am very anal about it, especially with these,
as they are expensive--range from $3.50 to 5.50 depending on the number you
purchase. I bought a set last year, and have used them with all my
students, grades Kdgn- to 3rd grade--and they are still all in great shape.
I bought a smaller size as well--I think size 6--they are good also, but not
as good as the larger size, for some reason. I have felt it was worth the
price. I ordered them from the Triarco catalog. (www.triarcoarts.com)

Mary H.