Re: [teacherartexchange] Real Beauty & Advertisting

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 13:41:30 PDT

I loved this. I actually saw a segment on TV about it last night.

Of course, it is a backwards way of selling more product. So if you go
to the store wanting to buy face cream...you think oh that Dove
commercial! They understand ME. So you buy that instead of some other
product.....

This obsession with beauty is serious in every aspect of the media. I
used to work for small college and we had to search for "pretty
people" to have inside our brochures and viewbooks. Because if the
stereotype of the "cool kids go there, i want to go too". It's pretty
sad really.

Most of people we used weren't even students at the school. ha!

I think it would be interesting to discuss with students what is
beautiful in other parts of the world or what was thought of as
beautiful long ago.

Just thinking now.....
Ruben's paintings-women full and round, healthy looking.
Fair skin to say you were from Royalty.
Gap in your two front teeth

Tons more of course!

Jen-Cleveland, OH