Re: [teacherartexchange] borrowed lessons

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 13:33:15 PDT

On Oct 22, 2006, at 2:12 PM, julie t. wrote:

> there's a trend at my school i call "stepford teaching." teachers
> get a course binder and teach in lockstop, teaching the same thing
> at the same time. it started with the core classes and has moved
> to the electives
>
> the problem is that the art 1 binder i received isn't my
> curriculum, but the teacher's down the hall who has a totally
> different teaching philosophy than i do. this doesn't make me
> happy, but so far i've been successful at dodging the bullet and am
> able to do my own lessons
> :-) julie

Julie,
        I agree totally with your concerns and wish you the best of luck
dodging those bullets.
I led the team that wrote our district art standards. We wrote them
in the hope that they
would discourage non-professionals from attempting to teach art. That
said, I still posted
these standards in my classroom. When district personnel came to
observe my teaching,
I told them that my students were working above those standards. We
must learn to do
a little tap dance (ie: Chicago) to keep our programs running.
                                                                      Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons