re:[teacherartexchange] borrowed lessons

---------

From: julie t. (jatcagirl7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 13:12:52 PDT

there's a trend at my school i call "stepford teaching." teachers
get a course binder and teach in lockstop, teaching the same thing at
the same time. it started with the core classes and has moved to the
electives

the problem is that the art 1 binder i received isn't my curriculum,
but the teacher's down the hall who has a totally different teaching
philosophy than i do. this doesn't make me happy, but so far i've
been successful at dodging the bullet and am able to do my own lessons

we have 8-9 art 1 sections and only one advanced class combining art
2, 3, and AP. knock on wood, a student repeating a lesson two years
in a row hasn't been a concern because very few kids move on from art
1 to art 2

actually, the disagreement between the art 2 teacher and myself is on
what should be the focus of the art 1 class, since only 1-2 students
from each art 1 class will go on to take art 2, but that's a whole
'nother story

:-) julie