[teacherartexchange] Two more new-to-me artists Hundertwasser and Ken Done

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 11:08:35 PDT

Recently I posted my delight in American master Walter Anderson, whom I
"discovered" during a family excursion to Books-a-Million (the cover of the
book sang to me from the shelf.). :-) Thank you to those that responded to
me, on and off list. It's nice to know that others are aware of this amazing
artist.

I have since ordered a number of Walter Anderson books from Amazon (and plan
to ask for even more as Christmas gifts), and am thoroughly delighted with
everything. Here is an artist whose work I can gaze upon and read about for
days upon end! I am especially delighted to have in my possession now
"Walter Anderson for Children"--a book developed to introduce the children
to his work.

I can't wait to have to the time to READ, READ, READ everything I can about
this man and his work!

Well, within the past hour, I have "discovered" another artist, an Austrian
this time, whom I am eager to learn more about, and I wonder if any of you
have included him in your lessons:

Friedensreich Hundertwasser

if you go to postershop.com and search for Hundertwasser, you will see many
images of his work.

Great work, colorful and full of pattern, great architecture, too, and
Hundertwasser was very concerned for the environment, as well. I think I can
develop some really neat lessons around this man and his work.

And yet another "new-to-me" artist... an Australian, this time:

Ken Done

I think children will relate to his work.

Bright, vibrant work, reminds me of Matisse. There is a neat interactive
websight that allows you to view images of his work and hear him discuss it:

http://www.kendone.com/permanent_collection/

Click on the "Click Here to Begin" box, of course.

You will hear about what influences and inspires him.

He has also painted one of the BMW art cars, has done work for UNICEF,
created an alternative design for the Australian flag, and patricipated in
other projects of international scope.

Well, I'd better get back to work. This is our last day of Fall Break. I am
not ready for it to end! It has been glorious to have time off.

I'd love to hear from any of you who have anything to say about
Hundertwasser or Done.

Amy in TN