[teacherartexchange] Elementary Art

---------

From: L Mitchell (lismatisse_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 08:03:56 PDT

hi Sarah and all

I "reinvent" my units yearly. Yes, start with the
state standards, talk with teachers in your school to
see what they are teaching, visit other art teachers
in your district or through websites. There is more
information that you can ever use - so that's why I
reinvent. I don't want to get bored with my
curriculum. My state standards are very broad so I can
make my lessons fit in the curriculum many different
ways. I would also go to your state art ed conference
to get lots of ideas. In NC it's coming up next
weekend - check NAEA website.
What I do want is for my sequential curriculum to work
for my students. See what they know and can do - for
instance before painting we'll do a unit on color.
I want them to have the tools they need to be
successful with the next project. So I think
backwards...or where I want them to be at the end of
the quarter or month and the plan how I will get them
there. Sometimes it is where my principal or the art
show needs them to be, versus developmentally
unfortunately. For instance: this past month my school
was planning a Hispanic Heritage assembly - so I
pulled in artists I could use to introduce them to art
projects that connected with what I had already
planned.
I think there is a danger thinking project to project
- you will have lovely work hanging in the hall, but
students may make no connection between one project to
the next. So my recommendation is to think of the
curriculum like building blocks - what do they need as
a foundation for what's coming up. That's how I
believe you build an art program.
As a plug for NC - I would look at lessons at
www.learnnc.org everything is aligned to the
curriculum which in NC is aligned to the national
standards. There is also new teacher support and
education articles.
BEST of luck in your first year! Congratulations - and
I hope you're enjoying teaching.
Lisa M.