Re: [teacherartexchange] loss of art?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 08:00:13 PDT

It is not the loss of the hour that hurts the schedule, it is how they fill
in all those little boxes. Last year I was opposite required courses, so one
hour I had 8 students, the other hour I had 29. This year we tweaked our
schedule again, and while art is more balanced against the required courses,
I am also opposite Industrial Arts. Since none of our students want to take
classes from this teacher my smallest class is 24. I know that sounds small
or normal to most of you, but we only have 97 students in our high school.
The positive aspect of dropping an hour is that you will have more time with
the students, but make sure that all levels have the opportunity to take
art, AND that you are not opposite band or vocal. Students should be given
two opportunities at each required, so they have the option of taking fine
arts courses. We have changed our schedule several times due to
administrative changes (we are so small that most admins take a job with us
to get a year or two experience before moving on), and you learn a lot by
being involved in the course scheduling. If your admin insists on change try
to have as many of the faculty involved as possible if the admin will allow
it. Also, as a faculty (there is more power when the staff is united) find
out why the changes are being persued. What benefits will there be for ALL
classes AND the students.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids