RE: [teacherartexchange] loss of art?

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 07:26:48 PDT

My suggestion would be see if your principal is having a committee to
contemplate and design this change. If not, suggest one, and make sure you
are on it, along with representatives from your PTA, etc. Unless you are in
a private school I think these things have to be run by the Administration
and the Board of Education. Prepare yourself to lobby these groups. I would
also check my state education website and see if there are arts standards,
then make sure you ask the important question: How will these standards be
met? Ask how are all the standards in all disciplines going to be met in the
context of a 6 period day. Our school was, at one point, considering an 8
period day, and in fact we have a defacto 8 period day by having students
coming in prior to the school day to take PE, so that they can fit in all
that they need to take for graduation as well as enrichment. You and your
colleagues are right with your reaction that this WILL result in the loss of
many electives (and this well may be the objective, as communities are
screaming about their property taxes and teacher's salaries).

San D

Hi everyone, I have a situation at my high school where the principal is
considering going from seven periods a day to six periods a day. Many
teacherw feel this will result in the loss of many electives such as art and
band. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?
Thanks in advance.
Sue G