Re: [teacherartexchange] Real Beauty

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 15:53:17 PDT

Something I always ask my students is "how are you fooled?" and
how do you know how you are fooled?

I find students today are very lacking in how to make connections and
make distinctions. The bombardment of popular images prevents them
from making appropriate decisions, because all they are informed
about is the bombardment.
We serve a vital role in informing about how the "trickery" is
molding and melding conceptions and perceptions that drive our
economy and society.

I'm guilty of the same. Today I took an image of myself and "erased
the wrinkles." I have image problems, too. So how do we teach
our young ones that the images presented are for a particular
motivation that only has to do with money? How do we prevent them
from getting pigeoned-holed into notions that have little to do with
reality?

Dove is making a step,
But isn't is curious that they present what they are guilty of for
discussion?
The questions just get bigger and bigger.

So ask your kids "what is real beauty?" and look for those who
have other ideas...

Thank you Diane for providing a little step on the road to asking
some BIG questions.

Patty