[teacherartexchange] Importance of Elementary Sketchbooks

---------

From: Carol K. (artcek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 15:29:49 PDT

Hi everyone.
Here is my issue: my 3rd-5th graders bring a sketchbook & pencil with
them to class (a tradition from last year's art teacher). At first I
thought this was wonderful & the students have been using them for
warm ups and preliminary sketches. However, during introduction &
closure some students are tempted to look through their sketchbooks
or draw in them while I am talking. I am thinking that sketchbooks
will need to go on the floor at those times to remove the
temptation. (Or I could also have them stop bringing pencils - so
that they had nothing to draw with at those times).

My question is - do you think that it is important for students in
elementary school to have the experience of owning a sketchbook and
bringing it with them to class?

I can certainly still do the same lessons with the same warm ups and
preliminary sketches without using sketchbooks. I would have to
provide paper for this - and part of me feels that this would make my
life easier. There are drawbacks as well - I'm sure many preliminary
sketches would be tossed.
I'm sticking with the sketchbooks this year - but I am wondering what
I will want to do next year.

Any thoughts?
-Carol