[teacherartexchange] Printmaking using a press - grades 4 - 8

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 09:21:27 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Tina is looking for some good printmaking lessons to try with grades 4
through 8. She has recently acquired an etching press.

Please post lessons you have done and with what grade level. I will
compile all of them and add them to Incredible Art Department and will
forward them all to Tina.

Here are links to some great lessons:
Collagraph lesson using tag board:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Denise-prints.htm

This can be adapted to all grade levels. Plates can be made using
cardboard and can be run through the press to make an embossed print
first. Plates can be painted with gesso and can be printed intaglio
style.

See Ken Schwab's Collagraph lesson for details:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ken-kimono.htm
I did collagraph prints with middle school

See Woody Duncan's collagraph lesson:
http://www.taospaint.com/LessonCollographPrint.html
This can be printed with or without a press.

Monoprints/monotypes can be done with or without a press:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Brenda-mono.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Kathy-Monoprint.htm
I would have a variety of monoprint activities planned since all can
not use the press at the same time.

Plexiglas etchings can be done with elementary students too using
regular block printing ink:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Ken-prints.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8engprint.htm
I did Plexiglas engravings with 7th and 8th graders

Carborundum prints can be done with middle school:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Bill-Print.htm
I put the Carobundum/glass medium mix in small squeeze bottles.

Monotypes and engravings can both be done on old CD's - get some
recycling going.

Some very interesting embossed prints can be made by running lino
plates through the press. I used a piece of Saran wrap between the
plate and damp paper. Tagboard works well for making embossed prints
and is much more affordable than rag papers.

Tina - make sure you have adequate felts... a cushion, a pusher and a
sizing catcher. I always ran the prints through the press with a sheet
of newsprint on top to protect the felts. Also put a sheet of
newsprint down to keep the bed of the press clean. I bought my felts
from Dick Blick.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department