Re: [teacherartexchange] Real Beauty

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 17:43:50 PDT

It is very effective at making a point, but it would be more
effective if
it followed up with the multitude of beautiful faces that populate our
world. Kids need to realize that there is more than one vision of
beauty. Looking around any Middle School classroom can be
proof of that, at least to me. But, I doubt the students can see it.
                                                Woody

> http://campaignforrealbeauty.com/
>
> It is a fascinating add by Dove showing how Photoshop is being used
> to distort
> the features of a beautiful woman...The add is meant to raise
> consciousness
> about the negative impact of these kinds of adds on the perceptions
> of others
> about women's body image. It raises ethical questions about
> advertising and
> how art is being used to influence others. This add is being used
> by Dove to
> kick off their campaign for real beauty.
>
> It would be a great way to raise this particular issue in a high
> school art
> class. The number of females who are obese is rising at a very
> fast rate. The
> number of girls with body image issues is incredible.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Diane

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net