[teacherartexchange] Moving on to more enligtened conversations

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 08:08:46 PDT

I started this thread concerning the responses "sharing" and "poaching". It
is not something that needs to be swept under the rug because there are
people dying out there, children starving,etc, etc. Too many conflicts arise
from not having the discussion in the first place, learning from each
other's viewpoints. Teachers are important and any problems that they are
encountering are important to address, for numerous reasons. It is an
adult's job to model problem solving, to use positive means to solve
problems so that it leads to a resolution between parties involved. Healthy
functioning translates into positive environments and student learning. I
used a friend's story to begin the conversation. It was important enough to
her to talk to me about it. Another one of my friend's colleagues requested
her entire collection; lessons, books, handouts, etc, that had to do with
value. For an art teacher to ask another teacher for everthing she has on
something is simply a teacher that is not doing her job. Is that not one
aspect of a teacher's job: curriculum development? Obviously, my friend is
going to have to establish boundaries which is not always easy to do because
many people out there percieve it as "rude". Too bad. Respecting boundaries
is fundamental to mutual trust.