Re: [teacherartexchange] my response- still about poaching

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 10:35:52 PDT

Many of us appear to have feelings on this topic! I'm wondering if
all the attention to copyright issues is making itself felt here. I
know that I spend lots of time crafting rubrics and tweaking
assignments as I see kids do them over the years. It is hard when
someone takes the work that can be seen as my "intellectual
property" and uses it in a lower grade, knowing I will be doing it
later. Many times I have been asked to explain an assignment to
someone who likes how it looks and wants to use it, but when I start
unravelling it for them, it gets pretty "deep" as in, well, I started
the year with this assignment to lead into this one so that
eventually the students would have developed enough skill and
understanding to complete the assignment that looks so good to the
outside eye. So It's not so much the "poaching" but the fact that I
am concerned about the level of understanding that goes into the
project. That is part of intellectual property.
Having said that, I am a poorer teacher without this list which has
so freely shared "property" over the years. I never take a lesson
plan verbatim from anywhere, but the ideas are often so brilliant and
exciting that I refine them for my situations. And I guess that is
what the poachers do as well. Both sides of the fence look pretty
good and both sides need painting.
2 cents,
Peggy