Re:[teacherartexchange] my response- still about poaching

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 09:52:04 PDT

I was just thinking similar to what Woody said... I
have worked at three different levels now. Starting at
high school, then middle, now elementary. In each
level I took something that I had done with the higher
level and taught the lower level how to do it.
(Plaster Masks, for instance) However, some of the
things that I have taught are things that I learned or
borrowed from my university studio classes- like
pottery or casting or shading. It never occurred to me
that I should reserve the technique for a certain
level. Now that I am a choice based art teacher, my
students are ecstatic to get to repeat the things that
they did years ago and always wanted to do again.

It is strange to me when teachers get upset if a
teacher below them teaches their lesson (and I have
seen people get fist pounding mad over it.) It should
be good because they will have prior knowledge when
you get to introduce it, extend it, and differentiate
it. If you teach the process and don't micro-manage
the product all of the results are going to as varied
as your students.

I don't think other subjects get upset when the kids
all say that they have already learned to solve an
equation. And I know that I learned the parts of
speech every year into English 1 in college. My
daughter's dance teacher requires her to repeat the
same processes everyday multiple times. It would be
ridiculous if she had to dance to the exact same song
every time she dances. ( I would have to take her to a
new studio to learn how to dance to a new song!) We
often repeat images and methods for years in our
personal art. My friend told me that Hokusai painted
the mountains 10,000 times in his lifetime and never
felt he perfected it.

I really hope no one is offended by my jibber
jabbering... I appreciate everybody's comments and
points of view. I love coming here and getting to
"talk" to and listen to actual intelligent adults
after being surrounded by hyperactive, frenzied, art
crazed elementary kids all day! Nobody should every
drop off of the list because of one person, (do you
remember that troll from that one summer?) That was
horrible, we should be able to communicate here
without chastising each other- if you disagree with
someone just hit delete or ignore their posts- sort of
like the grumpy teacher down the hall that you avoid!
- Mikel