Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] my response to Randy's post--postscript

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 08:20:26 PDT

On Oct 19, 2006, at 8:54 AM, <>
<> wrote:

> I pointed out that this was supposed to be a middle school lesson,
> I don't think it sunk in.
> There are of course, ways around this. In our case the lag in years
> between 2nd and 7th grade
> is a long one so you could simply tell the class, "well, you did it
> then as a 2nd grader and now
> you're going to do it as a 7th grader".

I've never bought into the idea that "once you don't something,
that's it". I know teachers who say
their students have already done that, as if it should not be done
again. Drawing is something
we always do, like addition in math. I've done Collograph printmaking
in 6th, then 7th and again in
the 8th grade. We did it differently every time, new subjects, more
complex, new twists, etc.
Repetition in art is important, I would never tell a student "you
already know how to swim because
you've done it once. In the 6th grade we did panty hose sculptures of
heads, so in the eight grade
we did entire figures. They loved it and the products were fantastic.
Teachers below you will
always steal ideas, no matter what you say to them. So, adjust your
lessons so they are taken to
the next level. Push yourself and your students to do even better.

                        I hope my ramblings here make sense, Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703