[teacherartexchange] poaching and more

---------

dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 07:32:48 PDT

Hi All,

Let us all consider that our fellow human beings have the best of intentions.
:-) I would assume the person who "poached" the lesson and used it in the lower
grades was not even thinking about the implications of his/her actions. Life is
too hard to for all of us to wrangle about such things...people are dying daily
in Iraq, there is poverty and famine running amuk in Africa, and our young are
dying of drug addiction, neglect, and abuse. Let us move on to more productive
discussions :-)...such as how can we use art and art education to improve the
lives of all peoples.

How are you using art and art education in your classroom to raise consciousness
about the major social issues of our time. I would like to hear how art
teachers are doing this. My students always profit from hearing how this is
being done in the art classroom.

Cheers,

Diane

Quoting lpapanicolaou@pausd.org:

> I've noticed in this discussion that people are responding to two
> fundamentally different phenomena: 1) sharing and 2) poaching.
>
> Sharing is fundamental to our profession. I tell my students up front that
> all art depends on all the art that came before it and while every artist is
> an individual, no one is totally original as an artist. I periodically have
> them share by telling them get up, walk around the classroom, and see what
> everyone else is doing.
>
> But sharing, I think we all agree, is born of generosity and implies and
> honor system of reciprocity. Poaching is none of these.
>
> I still say it's a rotten thing to do to another teacher in your building.
> When the lesson has been robbed and used in a lower grade level, the teacher
> who developed it can't use her own assignment again. That's not sharing.
> That's theft.
>
> And like a radio that's been ripped out of a car, if the lesson was carefully
> crafted for the level it was originally intended, it's not going to work very
> well for a lower level. So the poaching teacher has just simply made a mess
> and destroyed the learning that was in it all around.
>
> Linda

artexchange] response