Re: [teacherartexchange] response

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 07:15:51 PDT

I've noticed in this discussion that people are responding to two fundamentally different phenomena: 1) sharing and 2) poaching.

Sharing is fundamental to our profession. I tell my students up front that all art depends on all the art that came before it and while every artist is an individual, no one is totally original as an artist. I periodically have them share by telling them get up, walk around the classroom, and see what everyone else is doing.

But sharing, I think we all agree, is born of generosity and implies and honor system of reciprocity. Poaching is none of these.

I still say it's a rotten thing to do to another teacher in your building. When the lesson has been robbed and used in a lower grade level, the teacher who developed it can't use her own assignment again. That's not sharing. That's theft.

And like a radio that's been ripped out of a car, if the lesson was carefully crafted for the level it was originally intended, it's not going to work very well for a lower level. So the poaching teacher has just simply made a mess and destroyed the learning that was in it all around.

Linda